5 Reasons Why Construction Is The Best Industry To Work In02/27/2018
Build Your Future predicts that by 2021, there will be 5.5 million jobs in the construction industry and not enough skilled crafts workers to fill those positions (byf.org). The demand for workers makes it easy for anyone with a strong work ethic and willingness to learn to secure a well-paying job in the construction industry. Aside from employability, there are several incentives and advantages to pursuing a career in the industry.
1. Competitive Pay. Hourly wages for brand-new craftsmen are competitive when compared to the wages of other entry-level jobs. Wages continue to improve as you build skills and gain knowledge. With many supervisory field positions available, you’ll have the opportunity to advance and grow your income.
2. Career Advancement. Employees can quickly advance within a company if they have talent and leadership abilities. Carpenters can advance to Leadmen, then to a Foreman position as they develop their skills. Foremen have the opportunity to advance to additional management positions, such as Superintendent. Several of Eby’s current Superintendents started their careers as craftsmen. A strong work ethic can take you far in the construction industry.
3. Hands-On Work. If the idea of sitting at a desk makes you cringe, construction might be the right fit for you. You’ll be part of a team taking a building from conception to completion. As the general contractor, our team typically handles trades such as concrete, ironwork (structural steel and rebar), finish carpentry, and specialties.
4. Challenging Tasks. Eby specializes in completing demanding projects that require creative, complex solutions, and you’ll help to execute the innovative design planning that’s required for many of our sites. No cookie-cutter, repetitive jobs here!
5. No Degree Required. Many of our Field Engineers start with a degree in Construction Management or Science, but craft positions don’t require any degree or certification. Experienced workers can apply for laborer, ironworker, concrete finisher, or carpenter positions. New to the industry? Attitude, work ethic, a willingness to learn, and tools are all you need to start! Eby hires select people as Trainees and teaches them the ins-and-outs of the industry through hands-on work and supervision on our jobsites.
At Eby, nearly all of our jobsites are within a 90-mile radius of Wichita, and most of those are within city limits. That means less time spent traveling and more nights home. We know the importance of family, so we also provide you with a great benefit package and company-wide events that your spouse and kids can attend.
Are you ready to join the Eby family? Apply at ebycorp.com/careers/application